Monday, September 27, 2010

Time to LEEP

    So, this post will not be centered around crafts, as they usually are. Today is an update on personal life and an outlet for me. Two months ago I went in for the annual exam with the Gyn. Two weeks after I get a call from the doctor's office and they tell me some of the tests came back abnormal, and they would like me to come in for a Colposcopy to take a closer look and do a biopsy. Not really what you want to hear, but ok. We set up the appt. About a month ago, I went in for the procedure and was told I would hear back in about a week and a half. 2 weeks later I get a message from my doctor herself asking me to call her back that she wanted to schedule a loop electrosurgical excision procedure (LEEP) to remove the abnormal cells. Um, ok. Never heard of it. And what do you do when you don't know about something...you google it. Not really a fun topic to research. Apparently they use a metal rod with a cone shape at the end that transmit electrical current that removes the cell and then cataches that cell into the cone (used to do more tests on).
    So after researching it and kind of freaking myself out I emailed my doctor and literally 5 minutes later she called me back. She went over the procedure with me and I ask her about the abnormal cells and what caused them. She informs me that they are actually precanercous and are in the range of moderate to severe. I feel like I held it together pretty well while still on the phone with her. But once we got off, it took me a moment to 'compose' myself.
Along with her telling me about the procedure we talk about the recovery process and what that entails. Since the process of using electrical current weakens the cervix we have to wait at least a year until we can try to get pregnant. Maybe longer depending on how long it takes for the cervix to heal.
    Naturally I have been nervous for the upcoming surgery (scheduled for the 6th of October), but yesterday at church I seemed to have had a lightbulb go off in my head.
Since March, Robert and I have been trying to get pregnant. Now we thought it might take a few months or so to get pregnant, but I honestly thought I was going to be pregnant by fall. Now knowing about the precancerous cells I am grateful that we had not yet gotten pregnant. If we had I would have had to decide whether to have the syrgery and have a 95% of losing the baby, or not have the procedure and risk the very likely chance of the cells turning cancerous and spreading before they could be removed.
    I am not overly excited about the idea that it will be another year before I can even think about trying to get the one thing I long for more than anything else, but I would rather have a healthy environment for my baby then taking a risk.
    I am grateful Heavenly Father knows what I need especially when I don't. I truly believe that we did not get pregnant for this reason, that other health issues have refused to stay dormant to cause me to go to the doctor in the first place, and that any strength I have going into this procedure is from Him and my wonderful husband, Robert.
I am Blessed. Thank You.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear you have to go through this. But you are strong and have a lot of support. Good Luck, heal quick, and enjoy a year with your hubby, looking forward to the time you can start your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got so teary reading this. I wish so much you didn't have to go through this, but then, these situations are always the way we learn and grow, right? I admire your spiritual maturity in accepting that this is the plan right now. I'll be praying for you, as I have been already after your post on facebook a few weeks ago. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only known you a few months, but I already know from that short of time, that you are amazing! Today is the 6th and I am thinking about you and hoping and praying that the healing goes smoothly.
    Your dreams will come true.

    ReplyDelete